ECI announces dates for 2017 assembly polls: Major takeaways
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Wednesday held a press briefing and announced dates of assembly elections which are going to take place in five states namely Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur and Goa.
The key takeaways of the briefing are:
- Nearly 160 million voters will be participating in the polls this year.
- Electoral roll of Goa will be published on January 5, Manipur on January 12, Punjab on January 5, Uttarakhand on January 10 and UP on January 12.
- The polling stations have increased to 1 lakh, 85 thousand this year which is 15 percent more than 2012.
- There will be complete accountability of photo voter slips.
- Colorful voter guides will be distributed to each family to facilitate voters.
- There will be a voters assistance booth manned by officials.
- Candidate will be required to affix his photograph on nomination papers.
- Every candidate will be required to mention that he is citizen of India.
- Separate polling stations for women to be set up in some states.
- All women-managed polling stations would be set up.
- Polling station-wise mapping of persons with disabilities being done. Assembly Elections to be persons with disabilities-friendly this time.
- Height of voting compartments has been raised to 30 inches for secrecy.
- Every polling station will have 4 posters for voting procedures and dos and don'ts for voters.
- Sound pollution is a concern and therefore there will be no use of loudspeakers after 10pm. Police and electoral officers will ensure clampdown on it.
- Election Commission discourages use of environmentally hazardous material in the upcoming assembly election campaigns.
- The Election Commission on Wednesday said that the defence personnel posted away from their homes can cast their votes through one-way electronic transmission in the upcoming state polls.
- The candidates will have to submit a 'No Demand Certificate' from agencies providing amenities and government accommodation.
National Unity Day: A tribute to Sardar Patel | Master Stroke
What all changed after J&K officially bifurcated into 2 UTs? | Master Stroke
Israeli spyware Pegasus snooped on Indian Journalists through Whatsapp | Master Stroke
Maharashtra: Shiv Sena's Sanjay Raut Meets Sharad Pawar
Drill displays IED diffused with the help of a robot by NSG
Article 370 only gave separatism and terrorism to J&K: PM Modi in Kevadiya
Let us work towards making India $5 trillion economy: Modi To Trainee Civil Servant | Full Speech
Radio Stations in Jammu, Srinagar and Leh renamed
Jammu and Kashmir to witness 'Acche Din'? | Seedha Sawal
Expert advice on how to survive poor air quality in Delhi-NCR