Former Governor, four-time CM ND Tiwari passes away; 5 things you should about veteran Congress leader
The 92-year-old senior Congress leader was shifted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Max hospital in Delhi last week after his health deteriorated due to multiple organ failure.
Reportedly, Tiwari’s condition was earlier put on dialysis due to failure of his kidneys and was given antibiotics and antifungal medicines to fight infection in his stomach. Tiwari's doctor informed that he was suffering from acute bacterial infection in stomach region and his kidneys stopped functioning on Saturday.
Tiwari was one of the most prominent leaders of his time and has achieved several milestones in his political stint. Here are five interesting facts about the Congress leader who died on his 93rd birthday today:
1. Born on October 18, 1925 in Baluti district of Uttarakhand, Tiwari's interest into politics came during the Indian Independence movement. He was arrested for writing Anti-British leaflets opposing imperialist policies.
2. In 1963, Tiwari associated with the Indian National Congress party and was elected Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) from the Kashipur constituency in 1965. He was later appointed a minister in the Government of Uttar Pradesh.
3. ND Tiwari became the External Affairs Minister in the Rajiv Gandhi cabinet from October 22, 1986 till July 25, 1987. He remains the only politician to be elected Chief Minister in two Indian states (Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand). He served as the CM of UP three times.
4. Apart from being the Chief Minister and Minister of External Affairs, Tiwari has held several other portfolios in Congress government throughout his career. He remains the only Chief Minister of Uttarakhand to have completed his five-year-tenure in office.
5. Tiwari’s last position was his appointment as Governor of Andhra Pradesh on 22 August. However, following some controversy he resigned from the post in December 2009.
National Unity Day: A tribute to Sardar Patel | Master Stroke
What all changed after J&K officially bifurcated into 2 UTs? | Master Stroke
Israeli spyware Pegasus snooped on Indian Journalists through Whatsapp | Master Stroke
Maharashtra: Shiv Sena's Sanjay Raut Meets Sharad Pawar
Drill displays IED diffused with the help of a robot by NSG
Article 370 only gave separatism and terrorism to J&K: PM Modi in Kevadiya
Let us work towards making India $5 trillion economy: Modi To Trainee Civil Servant | Full Speech
Radio Stations in Jammu, Srinagar and Leh renamed
Jammu and Kashmir to witness 'Acche Din'? | Seedha Sawal
Expert advice on how to survive poor air quality in Delhi-NCR