Kedarnath Singh, eminent Hindi poet, passes away: 5 lesser known facts about him
Eminent Hindi poet and Jnanpith awardee Kedarnath Singh passed away on Monday following a prolonged illness. He was 84.
Singh, who was admitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), passed away at 8:45 pm, Bharatiya Jnanpith director, Leeladhar Mandloi told PTI.
He was infected with pneumonia in Kolkata where he goes to visit his sister every winter. He was under treatment there for a month, he said.
Mandloi said the poet recovered after coming to Delhi, but his condition worsened later.
Singh was admitted in hospitals at Saket and Moolchand, before being shifted to AIIMS, he said.
A hospital source said the poet had been admitted in AIIMS since March 13.
Singh is survived by a son and five daughters. His final rites will be held at 3 pm on Tuesday.
Talking about the great literary void that Singh has left behind, Mandloi said he was among the top three poets in the Hindi literature. He was one of those poets who was political in his own way. He kept a low profile, he said.
Five lesser-known facts about Kedarnath Singh
- Hailing from a village in eastern Uttar Pradesh, Kedarnath Singh was one of the most celebrated Hindi poets.
- A Jnanpith and Sahitya Akademi awardee, Singh was known for his simple style of writing, often inspired by objects of everyday life.
- Some of his best known works include the award-winning poetry collection Akaal Mein Saras, Bagh, Abhi Bilkul Abhi , Zameen pak Rahi Hai, Yahan se Dekho, Tolstoy aur cycle among many others. He won the Sahitya Akademi award in 1989 for his poetry collection Akaal Mein Saras.
- Singh was also an acclaimed critic and essayist. His stories and essays include Mere Samay ke Shabd, Kalpana aur chhayavad, Hindi kavita mein bimb vidhan, Kabristan mein Panchayat.
- He also served as a professor and chairperson at the Department of Hindi Language at the Centre for Indian Languages at Jawaharlal Nehru University
National Unity Day: A tribute to Sardar Patel | Master Stroke
What all changed after J&K officially bifurcated into 2 UTs? | Master Stroke
Israeli spyware Pegasus snooped on Indian Journalists through Whatsapp | Master Stroke
Maharashtra: Shiv Sena's Sanjay Raut Meets Sharad Pawar
Drill displays IED diffused with the help of a robot by NSG
Article 370 only gave separatism and terrorism to J&K: PM Modi in Kevadiya
Let us work towards making India $5 trillion economy: Modi To Trainee Civil Servant | Full Speech
Radio Stations in Jammu, Srinagar and Leh renamed
Jammu and Kashmir to witness 'Acche Din'? | Seedha Sawal
Expert advice on how to survive poor air quality in Delhi-NCR