Maruti violence Body identified as that of GM

By: admin
Updated: 19 Jul 2012 05:10 AM

Manesar: The
charred body found at the Manesar plant of India's carmaker Maruti Suzuki
has been identified as that of Avnish Kumar Dev, a General Manager in the
Human Resource department of the company.

Meanwhile, the Gurgaon
Police says Ninety nine people, mostly workers, have been arrested for
violence at the Maruti plant yesterday after workers and members of the
management clashed; 85 were reportedly injured, including two Japanese

DCP Maheshwar Dayal told reporters a special
investigation team (SIT) has been formed headed by Assistant Commissioner
of Police Ravinder Tomar with six inspectors to probe the incident.

Maruti Suzuki statement

We are deeply disturbed by the mob violence and arson at our Manesar Plant
on Wednesday evening. Several executives, managers and supervisors were
brutally attacked and injured, and nearly 100 of them had to be

We have also lost Awanish Kumar Dev, General
Manager (HR) at Manesar Plant, who was burnt to death by the mob. Awanish
was an outstanding professional and team member, compassionate, soft
spoken and deeply committed to cordial industrial relations. In the past
year, he had been instrumental in the Company taking far-reaching steps to
enhance the well being and working conditions of workers at the Manesar

We are still assessing the total damage to property and
facilities from the acts of arson. What is clear is that the office
facilities have been burnt beyond repair, as have the main gate, security
office and the fire safety section.

Both our plants in the
Manesar campus were, of course, closed on Thursday. We will shortly
announce our decision on the next steps with regard to resuming operations
in these facilities. We request our customers and partners to bear with us
in this extraordinary situation.

The top management team visited
the injured colleagues in the hospitals in Gurgaon where they are
admitted. Their experiences are shocking. A few of our colleagues remain
serious. While the rest are recovering from the physical injuries, it will
take them a while to come out of the trauma. The injured include two
Japanese expatriates, including the plant manager of the Manesar Plant.

Sequence of the violence

The workers’ union was
demanding reinstatement of a worker who had been suspended for beating up
a supervisor. While negotiations were on with the senior management, the
first act of violence by the mob was to forcibly shut the main gate and
prevent managers from leaving the premises after working hours.

armed with iron rods and door beams of cars, the mob spread out in groups
in the factory area and targeted supervisors, managers and executives. In
simultaneous attacks in different parts of the factory, the mob beat the
managers on their head, legs and back, rendering many of their victims
bleeding and unconscious. They also ransacked offices, broke glass panes
and wantonly damaged property. Finally, they set the offices on fire. 

After being terrorized, abused and attacked in this manner by
the mob, recovery for the injured will not be easy. We will ensure they
continue to receive quality medical attention, and are extending whatever
support is possible to the families as well.

By any account, this
is not an “industrial relations” problem in the nature of
management-worker differences over issues of wages or working conditions.
Rather, it is an orchestrated act of mob violence at a time when
operations had been normal over the past many months.   

acts of violence - pre planned, unprovoked and gruesome - have
implications beyond one company or region. They are negative trigger for
existing companies and regions across the country, as also for prospective
investors and job seekers.   

We are extending full
cooperation to the police and government authorities in identifying the
guilty and taking suitable action.