Srinagar attack: One jawan martyred, two terrorists killed in 30-hour long gunfight

Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Monday assured that “Pakistan will pay for the misadventure”.

Srinagar terror attack: Operation underway for over 26 hrs; 1 constable martyred
By: ABP News Bureau
Updated: 13 Feb 2018 04:20 PM
SRINAGAR: Security forces on Tuesday neutralised two Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists in a 30-hour long gun battle which began on Monday after the militants tried to attack a CRPF camp here.

The encounter was on for around 30 hours in the Karan Nagar camp, where two terrorists were hiding in a building close to the camp. CRPF constable from Bihar, Mojahid got martyred during the operation.

The gunfight resumed on Tuesday after an overnight lull as the security forces launched a final assault on the terrorists hiding in an under construction building in the morning.

The incident came two days after Jaish terrorists attacked an Army camp in Jammu's Sunjuwan, killing seven people, including six Army soldiers.

Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had on Monday assured that “Pakistan will pay for the misadventure”.

"Intelligence inputs show terrorists were controlled by their handlers from across the border. Evidence are being scrutinised by the NIA (National Investigation Agency)," the defence minister had said.

How did the operation start?

Terrorists were attempting to enter CRPF’s 23rd battalion. Around 4:30am, an officer saw two terrorists and started firing at them; post which both the terrorists ran to a building close to the camp. The house where they hid themselves is close to SHMS hospital.

The security officials immediately cordoned off the area and vacated people staying in the nearby areas.

SHMS hospital is the same hospital where terrorists attacked a few days ago and fled with one of the terrorists who was in Indian custody.

The incident which comes only days after Sunjuwan Army camp was attacked in Jammu which claimed 6 lives, including 5 jawans.